Say hello to our new 4×4, the bakkie formerly known as Becky. Cool right!
This bakkie (South African for pick-up) is exactly what we’d hoped to buy: a fully equipped Toyota 4×4 with a fridge, camping gear, including a rooftop tent, recovery gear (in case we get stuck in the mud or sand), and many extras. We’d been feeling a bit unlucky with our TRN situation (see previous post) but buying this 2000 Toyota Hilux made us feel as tho our luck had changed. But that feeling was short lived……
The day after we brought the bakkie home (Day 1), we took it to Andrew, a neighborhood mechanic, for basic maintenance (oil change, general check of the engine, brakes, etc…). Everything checked out fine. However, that night, as we drove the bakkie to the parking garage down the street, the battery and ABS (anti-lock braking system) indicator lights came on. Crap.
On Day 2, Andrew replaced the front brake pads, cleaned the rear brakes, and adjusted the hand brake in hopes it’d address the ABS light issue. It didn’t. Maybe the computer needed to be reset? Then, at the end of the day, after a short drive to test the brakes, I got this message from Mathieu: “something broken, probably the shaft.” Crap. “The shaft” turned out to be the right rear axle shaft. WTF!?! Thankfully, it’d happened on Andrew’s street, and with help from the neighbors, they’d pushed the bakkie back into Andrew’s yard. That night, we drank some wine and took deep breaths, reminding ourselves that while this turn of events felt very unlucky, especially just days after we’d bought the bakkie, we were lucky the axle broke here and not out in the bush somewhere.
Day 3 was Human Rights Day, a national day commemorating the sacrifices made in the struggle for democracy in South Africa. So the repairs would have to wait.
On Day 4, Mathieu went with Andrew to buy a new axle, bearings, seals, etc…, then to another shop to have the bearings installed, then to another shop to have the wheel dust cover welded. They then returned home and Andrew spent the rest of the day on the repair.
At the end of Day 5, the axle repairs were complete. Yeah! However, the ABS light was still on. Maybe the computer needed to be reset?
On Day 6, Andrew took us to a battery shop nearby to deal with the battery indicator light. It turned out the regulator for the alternator needed to be replaced. Easy. And the battery light went off. Yeah!
On Day 7, we returned to Andrew to address some remaining issues. The hand brake was still a bit weak, the front brakes were making a strange noise, and the darn ABS light was still on. Andrew first dismantled the rear wheels and he and Mathieu went to a shop to have the wheels turned (aka skimmed). He then dismantled the front wheels and back they went to the shop to now turn the front wheels. By the end of the day, the brakes felt good and the ABS light went off and stayed off. Yeah! We were done!
It’d been a stressful week of dealing with mechanical issues nearly everyday but now the bakkie formerly known as Becky is ready for a new African adventure, and a new name. After we’ve lived with our new truck for awhile and gotten a feel for it, we’ll give it a new name, one that is significant to us.
And, as of just last night, we finally have all our paperwork for the bakkie: the TRN that took weeks vs. days to get, the roadworthy inspection, the license and registration, and the new number plates. And to add to the good news, Becky’s previous owner, a fellow traveler, deducted some of the cost of the repairs from the selling price, which is such a righteous thing to do. And through all of this, Andrew, who has been a trustworthy mechanic, has now become a friend.
So, we’re basking in the glow of our lucky stars and now ready to hit the road.